‘parkride Summer Extravaganza’ is our brand new summer cycling scheme supported and funded by the West Midlands Combined Authority – Emergency Travel Fund for the Roll and Stroll campaign.
This will provide weekly pop up cycling sessions in local parks across the West Midlands including Birmingham, Walsall, Coventry, Solihull, Dudley and Wolverhampton.
parkride is an exciting adapted cycling service which offers fun and flexible cycling for all to enjoy, and our main aim is to encourage people to get active through cycling during the pandemic, with our large range of adapted bicycles – which really does mean there is something for everyone.
What you can expect from the programme:
1) Free Cycling – trying out the bikes on offer in safe and inclusive local parks.
2) Bike Ability Sessions – on a one to one basis to provide an introduction to basic biking skills and build confidence on a bike.
3) Bike Maintenance guidance – provides participants with the opportunity to learn how to maintain their bikes.
4) Access to Urban Cycling – building confidence in urban areas by utilising cycling routes such as existing bike lanes, pop up bike lanes and canal routes.
Where and When can I cycle?
Birmingham – Urban Cycyling
Wednesday 19th August – 10am – 6pm
Thursday 20th August – 10am – 6pm
Friday 21st August – 10am – 6pm
Wednesday 26th August – 10am – 6pm
Thursday 27th August – 10am – 6pm
Solihull – Tudor Grange Park
Tuesday 25th August – 11am – 5pm
Friday 28th August – 11am – 5pm
Saturday 29th August – 11am – 5pm
West Bromwich – Sandwell Valley (TBC)
Wednesday 2nd September – 11am – 5pm
Friday 4th September – 11am – 5pm
Wednesbury – Brunswick Park(TBC)
Saturday 5th September 11am -5pm
Tuesday 1st September
Thursday 3rd September
These areas have been selected due to Midland Mencap providing services resulting in local partnerships where there is an identified need.
– All sessions will be delivered by skilled facilitators who will encourage peer support between participants and also explore local volunteering opportunities.
– In Birmingham, we will run a three session bike maintenance course at the end of the project, where we will encourage all participants that have attended the sessions to join.
– Midland Mencap are offering a range of ‘Wellbeing Walks’ in the areas mentioned which will help identify local walking routes for participants.
– All facilitators will have Local knowledge of services so will be able to provide relevant services and facilities signposting
– We will facilitate and encourage throughout the programme the use of developing peer & buddy schemes to encourage and motivate participants to continue with cycling. We would aim to look at who will be able to support this outcome such as local community cycling groups.
– Midland Mencap offers a 7 day outreach service including telephone support and online content.
If you would like to know more, or to book on please call us on 0121 442 2944 or email Parkride@Midlandmencap.org.uk