Who are Midland Mencap?
Midland Mencap is a charity which works and campaigns for accessible and inclusive services and a better quality of life for everyone with experience of learning disabilities and additional needs.
Purpose of the role?
Would you enjoy empowering children and young people with additional needs to take part in activities and have a fun-filled 4-night residential trip? We are providing a residential trip to Bewdley in Worcestershire to give children and young people with additional needs the chance to spend some time away from home to try out a variety of fun activities.
If you are energetic and creative, with brilliant interpersonal skills, and you’re available between 21st – 25th February 2022 we would love to include you in this exciting trip. Please note that this role will involve staying on site for the duration of the residential trip.
What would I be doing?
• Supporting children and young people with disabilities to take part in activities, join in with communal meals and complete their general day to day tasks.
• Encouraging them to try new things and build their confidence and independence.
• Promoting an inclusive atmosphere on the residential and making sure the young people have an enjoyable time.
• Supervising children and young people during activities and throughout the day.
What skills do I need?
• Experience of caring for children and young people is desirable, but not essential
• Creativity and patience
• Willingness to get involved and play!
• Ability to use your own initiative
• Being approachable and friendly
• Good communication skills
• Accepting of others who might be different to you and the ability to work as part of a diverse team
• A willingness to learn and work within guidelines set out by Midland Mencap
• Honesty, integrity and trustworthy
• Good time management skills, reliability
An enhanced DBS check will be required by all successful applicants.
When and where do you need me?
• The residential trip will be at Frank Chapman Outdoor Centre, Bewdley, DY12 2TY
• Monday 21st February – Friday 25th February 2022 – please note that this role will involve staying on site or the duration of the residential trip. We would consider volunteers attending 2-4 days of the trip, if you were not available for the full week.
• Attendance at a day of training prior to attending the residential – date and location to be confirmed
What’s in it for me?
As one of our valued volunteers, Midland Mencap will offer you:
• The opportunity to make a difference to the lives of people with learning disabilities and their family carers
• An induction and settling in period
• Any training and development that is needed
• The chance to develop your skills and gain experience
• The opportunity to meet new people and be part of a diverse team
• Support within your role
• Any out-of-pocket travel expenses, all meals and accommodation provided (you will need to provide your own suitable clothing and shoes for the trip)
• Lots of appreciation for your amazing contribution
What to do if you’re interested?
Email the completed application form to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information or an informal chat, call 0121 442 2944 and speak to someone about how volunteering could work for you.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com