Who are Midland Mencap?
Midland Mencap is a charity which works and campaigns for accessible and inclusive services and a better quality of life for everyone with experience of learning disabilities and additional needs.
Volunteering with Midland Mencap is your opportunity to help us achieve our vision.
Purpose of the role?
People with a learning disability or additional needs are often isolated and excluded from mainstream leisure and social activities. We believe that EVERYONE has the right to have fun and feel safe.
Our organised activity groups groups give people with additional needs the chance to make friends, enjoy social time together and try out a variety of activities.
We are looking for friendly and enthusiastic volunteers for our busy and chatty social groups in Weoley Castle. You will be encouraging our citizens to take part and ensure everyone has a great time.
This is a great opportunity to volunteer in a friendly, person-centred team, providing leisure and social activities for young people and adults with learning disabilities.
What would I be doing?
- Helping people to take part in various activities, including arts and crafts, quizzes and sports.
- Supporting people to enjoy social trips such as bowling, cinema and meals out.
- Encouraging people to feel part of the group and take part in the activities.
- Helping to set up equipment and tidy away at the end of the session.
- Helping to maintain a safe and welcoming environment.
What do I need?
- An interest in helping people, being approachable and friendly
- Whilst it is not essential, a skill or interest in something creative would be great – for example dance, drama, music, arts and crafts, keep fit etc.
- Good communication skills
- Accepting of others who might be different to you
- The ability to work as part of a diverse team
- A willingness to learn and work within guidelines set out by Midland Mencap
- Honesty, integrity and trustworthy
- Good time management skills, reliability
- An enhanced DBS check will be required by all successful applicants.
Where do you need me?
Activities are run at various times throughout the week including evenings and weekends.
Days / Times are offered to suit you.
- Weoley Castle Community Hub, Bottetourt Rd, Birmingham B29 5TE
What’s in it for me?
As one of our valued volunteers, Midland Mencap will offer you:
- The opportunity to make a difference to the lives of people with learning disabilities and their family carers
- Improved health and wellbeing from doing positive activities
- A volunteering preparation session
- An induction and settling in period and any training and development that is needed
- The chance to develop your skills and gain experience
- The opportunity to meet new people and be part of a diverse team
- Any out-of-pocket travel expenses
- Lots of appreciation for your amazing contribution
What to do if you’re interested?
Email the completed application form to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information or an informal chat, call 0121 442 2944 and speak to someone about how volunteering could work for you.