Who are Midland Mencap?
Midland Mencap is a charity which works and campaigns for accessible and inclusive services and a better quality of life for everyone with experience of learning disabilities and additional needs.
Volunteering with Midland Mencap is your opportunity to help us achieve our vision.
Purpose of the role?
Do you see yourself as a people person?
Do you enjoy socialising and helping people get involved in activities?
We are looking for friendly and enthusiastic volunteers for our busy and chatty social groups in Birmingham, Walsall and Coventry.
This is a great opportunity to volunteer in a friendly, person-centred team, providing leisure and social activities for young people and adults with learning disabilities.
What would I be doing?
• Supporting people to take part in various activities, including arts and crafts, quizzes and sports.
• Encouraging people to feel part of the group and take part in the activities.
• Helping to set up equipment and tidy away at the end of the session.
What skills do I need?
• Whilst it is not essential, a specific skill in something creative would be great – for example dance, drama, music, arts and crafts, keep fit
• An interest in helping people, being approachable and friendly
• Good communication skills
• Accepting of others who might be different to you and the ability to work as part of a diverse team
• A willingness to learn and work within guidelines set out by Midland Mencap
• Honesty, integrity and trustworthy
• Good time management skills, reliability
An enhanced DBS check will be required by all successful applicants.
When and where do you need me?
We currently run adult social and leisure activities at 4 locations. Activities are run at various times throughout the week including evenings and weekends.
If there is a location that you could attend, please highlight this on your application.
• Walsall Older Persons Project, St Martin’s Church, Walsall, WS5 3DQ
• Walsall Disability Hub, Lichfield Street, Walsall. WS1 TU
• Wayfarers, Coventry Boys and Girls Club, Coventry, CV1 2DS
• Weoley Castle Community Hub, Bottetourt Rd, Birmingham B29 5TE
• Clifton Road, Outdoor Education Centre, Clifton Rd, Sutton Coldfield, B73 6EB
What’s in it for me?
As one of our valued volunteers, Midland Mencap will offer you:
• The opportunity to make a difference to the lives of people with learning disabilities and their family carers
• Improved health and wellbeing from doing positive activities
• A volunteering preparation session
• An induction and settling in period
• Any training and development that is needed
• The chance to develop your skills and gain experience
• The opportunity to meet new people and be part of a diverse team
• Support within your role
• Any out-of-pocket travel expenses
• Lots of appreciation for your amazing contribution
What to do if you’re interested?
Email the completed application form to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information or an informal chat, call 0121 442 2944 and speak to someone about how volunteering could work for you.