Who are Midland Mencap?
Midland Mencap is a charity which works and campaigns for accessible and inclusive services and a better quality of life for everyone with experience of learning disabilities and additional needs.
Volunteering with Midland Mencap is your opportunity to help us achieve our vision.
Purpose of the role?
The Sutton Park challenge is a 1km, 5km and 10km challenge to raise awareness and funds to help people in the West Midlands with a learning disability live in a world where everybody is valued and included as active and equal citizens in their community regardless of need.
Do you want to gain experience in event planning and project management? We are looking for an assistant events coordinator to help us develop and deliver this inclusive mass participation sports event in Birmingham.
What would I be doing?
Supporting the event coordinator with the following duties:
• Developing new ideas for the Sutton Challenge event, due to take place in summer 2022
• Planning Sutton Challenge event – including finding vendors, purchasing, contacting sponsors, and raising donations
• Assisting coordination of the event on the day – including setup and break down
• Supporting the development of advertising, social media, printed resources, and IT systems associated with the event, including using our fundraising platform
• Processing event data after the event
What skills do I need?
• Ability and confidence to use your own initiative and to work independently, but be accountable to the wider team
• Creative, sharing ideas and thinking outside the box
• Ability to research how other organisations deliver mass participation events, create ideas to promote participation
• Methodical and organised
• Good IT skills
• Being approachable and friendly
• Good communication skills
• Accepting of others who might be different to you and the ability to work as part of a diverse team and take direction from event coordinator
• A willingness to learn and work within guidelines set out by Midland Mencap, willingness to get involved in the wider organisation
• Honesty, integrity and trustworthy
• Good time management skills, reliability
An enhanced DBS check will be required by all successful applicants.
When and where do you need me?
• We ask our volunteers to give a minimum of 3 hours (this could be more) per week, during normal office hours, until the Sutton Park event due to take place in summer 2022.
• Based at our office in Woodgate Business Park, Birmingham
• This would be a great opportunity for a student placement
What’s in it for me?
As one of our valued volunteers, Midland Mencap will offer you:
• Gaining valuable experience in event planning and project management
• The opportunity to make a difference to the lives of people with learning disabilities and their family carers
• An induction and settling in period
• Any training and development that is needed
• The chance to develop your skills and gain experience
• The opportunity to meet new people and be part of a diverse team
• Support within your role
• Any out-of-pocket travel expenses
• Lots of appreciation for your amazing contribution
What to do if you’re interested?
Email the completed application form to email@example.com.
For more information or an informal chat, call 0121 442 2944 and speak to someone about how volunteering could work for you.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org