Who are Midland Mencap?
Midland Mencap is a charity which works and campaigns for accessible and inclusive services and a better quality of life for everyone with experience of learning disabilities and additional needs.
Volunteering with Midland Mencap is your opportunity to help us achieve our vision.
Purpose of the role?
Children with a learning disability or additional needs are often isolated and excluded from mainstream leisure and social activities. We believe that EVERYONE has the right to have fun and feel safe.
Our play schemes and short break services give children and young people with additional needs the chance to make friends and try out a variety of activities.
We also provide after school support to children from local mainstream schools.
What would I be doing?
• Supporting children and young people with disabilities to take part in sessions.
• Encouraging children to get involved and have fun.
• Helping to facilitate a range of creative and fun, inclusive activities.
• Helping to set up equipment and tidy away at the end of the session.
• Helping to maintain a safe and welcoming environment.
• This role might suit someone considering a career in child support or care services and looking for practical experience as part of a school/ college/ university course.
What do I need?
• Creativity and patience
• Willingness to get involved and play
• Being approachable and friendly
• Good communication skills
• Accepting of others who might be different to you and the ability to work as part of a diverse team
• A willingness to learn and work within guidelines set out by Midland Mencap
• Honesty, integrity and trustworthy
• Good time management skills, reliability
An enhanced DBS check will be required by all successful applicants.
When and where do you need me?
Ideally you can attend a minimum of 1 session per week.
• Weoley Castle Community Centre – various time and days through the week
• Weoley Castle after School Club – 4pm to 6pm weekdays
What’s in it for me?
As one of our valued volunteers, Midland Mencap will offer you:
• The opportunity to make a difference to the lives of people with learning disabilities and their family carers
• Any training and development that is needed
• The chance to develop your skills and gain experience to add to your CV
• The opportunity to meet new people and be part of a diverse team
• Support within your role
• Any out-of-pocket travel expenses
• Lots of appreciation for your amazing contribution
What to do if you’re interested?
Email the completed application form to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information or an informal chat, call 0121 442 2944 and speak to someone about how volunteering could work for you.