Who are Midland Mencap?
Midland Mencap is a charity which works and campaigns for accessible and inclusive services and a better quality of life for everyone with experience of learning disabilities and additional needs. Volunteering with Midland Mencap is your opportunity to help us achieve our vision.
Purpose of the role?
With your friendly attitude and knowledge of the local area, you could be the support a Midland Mencap citizen needs to access and enjoy their local community and make a big difference to their lives.
Some of our citizens living in residential care may be dealing with a variety of difficulties including depression, isolation, physical and mental health problems,
Your role will be to help them to enjoy their local community in the way that they want; this may include activities such as going shopping, attending an event, visiting a park or a local facility – and having fun.
What would I be doing?
• Visit a Midland Mencap citizen who is living in residential care
• Accompany them to agreed community locations and activities
• Provide a befriending support role to ensure the citizen enjoys a positive experience
• To record and maintain basic records as required
• To ensure the activities undertaken complies with safeguarding, equal opportunities, health & safety and other policies and the guidelines provided by Midland Mencap.
What skills do I need?
• Being approachable and friendly
• Good communication skills
• Knowledge of, and able to travel to local places
• Accepting of others who might be different to you and the ability to work as part of a diverse team
• A willingness to learn and act within guidelines set out by Midland Mencap
• Honesty, integrity and trustworthy
• Good time management skills, reliability
An enhanced DBS check will be required by all successful applicants.
When and where do you need me?
• A minimum of 4 hours per month – ideally once a week.
• Days and times are flexible and agreed in advance, but there may be some specific activities the citizen wishes to attend
• In the local community
What’s in it for me?
As one of our valued volunteers, Midland Mencap will offer you:
• The opportunity to make a difference to the lives of people with learning disabilities and their family carers
• An induction and settling in period
• Any training and development that is needed
• The chance to develop your skills and gain experience
• The opportunity to meet new people and be part of a diverse team
• Support within your role
• Any out-of-pocket travel expenses
• Lots of appreciation for your amazing contribution
• Positive wellbeing from doing something great
• Improve career opportunities by adding your volunteer role to a CV and ask us for a reference
What to do if you’re interested?
Email the completed application form to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information or an informal chat, call 0121 442 2944 and speak to someone about how volunteering could work for you.