Who are Midland Mencap?
Midland Mencap is a charity which works and campaigns for accessible and inclusive services and a better quality of life for everyone with experience of learning disabilities and additional needs. Volunteering with Midland Mencap is your opportunity to do something really positive, to have a great time, and help us achieve our vision.
Purpose of the role?
People with a physical or learning disability are often excluded from mainstream social groups and activities and may find it difficult to access fun things to do. Midland Mencap provides accessible and affordable activities in safe environments for adults with learning disabilities, their families and carers.
We need volunteers to assist our team in delivering workshops based around music and the arts to enrich citizens’ lives and help encouraging creativity and an engagement with the arts across the region. This is a very “hands-on” role, and you will enjoy lots of interaction with our citizens and staff.
What would I be doing?
A Journey Through Music
• Help support our Creative Lead with encouraging participants in their reading and comprehension of a wide and eclectic range of song lyrics, while helping to encourage their participation in fun discussions about what they like and think about the music they journey through. Volunteers will help encourage the participants in their own lyrical & musical journey, fully supported by our Creative Lead.
• It would be great if you were able to join in with singing too, but this is not essential, but a love of music and performance would be helpful.
• Other tasks will be required, like helping set up and close the sessions e.g., setting up tables and chairs, moving and handling session resources and supporting the group with local community trips to cultural arts venues, or recording studios.
• Help support our Creative Lead in engaging our participants to explore their own creative minds. We do this through the exploration of creative arts, from poetry to classic and contemporary art, to different genres of music, like rap!
• We are looking for volunteers who also have creative minds, who would enjoy helping support our participants to explore the world of art, which leads to the creation and exhibition of their own art, from poetry to arts-and-crafts and drama, or a combination of it all!
• Other tasks will be required to support the session, with 1:1, or small group breakout group tasks, helping to capture people’s ideas through scribing and helping set up and close the sessions as well as supporting the group with local community trips to cultural arts venues.
What do I need?
To be a volunteer you need to be
• Calm and patient
• Experience in creative arts and music would be nice but not essential!
• Accepting of people who may be different to you
• Happy to chat
• Willing to learn and act within guidelines set out by Midland Mencap
• An enhanced DBS check will be required by all successful applicants.
When and where do you need me?
10am – 12.00pm Monday and Friday (you can volunteer at one or both sessions)
Weoley Castle Community Centre, Bottetourt Rd, Birmingham B29 5TE
What’s in it for me?
As one of our valued volunteers, Midland Mencap will offer you:
• The opportunity to make a difference to the lives of people with learning disabilities
• Any training and development that is needed
• The chance to develop your skills and gain experience
• The opportunity to meet new people and be part of a diverse team
• Support within your role
• Any out-of-pocket travel expenses
• Lots of appreciation for your amazing contribution
• Positive wellbeing from doing something great
• Improve career opportunities by adding your volunteer role to a CV
What to do if you’re interested?
Email the completed application form to email@example.com.
For more information or an informal chat, call 0121 442 2944 and speak to someone about how volunteering could work for you.