Who are Midland Mencap?
Midland Mencap is a charity which works and campaigns for accessible and inclusive services and a better quality of life for everyone with experience of learning disabilities and additional needs.
Volunteering with Midland Mencap is your opportunity to help us achieve our vision.
Purpose of the role?
Many people with a learning or physical disability struggle to enjoy cycling, and families often find the cost of adapted bikes mean that they cannot share fun times together.
Parkride is a fun and flexible inclusive cycling project using a range of adapted and standard bikes that provides anyone, regardless of age, ability or need, with the opportunity to enjoy the great outdoors through cycling.
What would I be doing?
• Supporting children and adults with learning disabilities and their families/carers to take part in regular community bike rides
• Leading on small cycling trips in suitable areas such as parks.
• Helping to set up before each session and tidying away afterwards
• Assisting Midland Mencap staff to deliver fun and engaging parkride sessions
• Helping to maintain a fleet of bikes to ensure as many people as possible can take part in cycling sessions
• Helping parkride participants to learn the basics of bicycle maintenance
What do I need?
• Knowledge and experience of cycling
• An interest in cycle maintenance would be amazing, although this isn’t essential
• Being approachable and friendly with good communication skills
• Accepting of others who might be different to you and the ability to work as part of a diverse team
• A willingness to learn and work within guidelines set out by Midland Mencap
• Honesty, integrity and trustworthy
• Good time management skills, reliability
An enhanced DBS check will be required by all successful applicants.
When and where do you need me?
We have several parkride sessions running throughout the week including evenings and weekends. Sessions vary from 2-4 hours.
We run sessions throughout the Midlands, including Birmingham (all areas), Walsall, Wolverhampton, Dudley, Sandwell, Coventry, Sutton Coldfield, Solihull, and Worcestershire. You will attend sessions in your local area.
All sessions are weather dependent; however, we only cancel sessions in extreme weather. We would advise having a warm waterproof coat and suitable shoes.
What’s in it for me?
As one of our valued volunteers, Midland Mencap will offer you:
• The opportunity to make a difference to the lives of people with learning disabilities and their family carers
• Improved physical and mental wellbeing from keeping active
• An induction and settling in period
• Any training and development that is needed
• The chance to develop your skills and gain experience
• The opportunity to meet new people and be part of a diverse team
• Support within your role
• Agreed out-of-pocket travel expenses
• Lots of appreciation for your amazing contribution
What to do if you’re interested?
Email the completed application form to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information or an informal chat, call 0121 442 2944 and speak to someone about how volunteering could work for you.