Who are Midland Mencap?
Midland Mencap is a charity which works and campaigns for accessible and inclusive services and a better quality of life for everyone with experience of learning disabilities and additional needs.
Volunteering with Midland Mencap is your opportunity to help us achieve our vision.
Purpose of the role?
Do you want to make a difference to the lives of children and young people with complex needs? Would you enjoy empowering children to take part in activities and have fun? Our play scheme and short breaks service gives children and young people with additional needs the chance to make friends and try out a variety of activities. We also run an after-school club for local schools.
What would I be doing?
• Supporting children and young people with disabilities to take part in sessions
• Encouraging people to get involved and have fun
• Helping to facilitate a range of creative and fun, inclusive activities
• Helping to set up and pack down before and after sessions
What skills do I need?
• Experience of caring for children and young people is desirable, but not essential
• Creativity and patience
• Willingness to get involved and play!
• Being approachable and friendly
• Good communication skills
• Accepting of others who might be different to you and the ability to work as part of a diverse team
• A willingness to learn and work within guidelines set out by Midland Mencap
• Honesty, integrity and trustworthy
• Good time management skills, reliability
An enhanced DBS check will be required by all successful applicants.
When and where do you need me?
We ask our volunteers to give at least 3 hours per week (you are welcome to give more time), at one of the locations and times below.
We run our inclusive play schemes and short breaks service at various locations and times.
• Weoley Castle Community Centre – weekends and school holidays 9.30am – 4pm
• Weoley Castle Community Centre – term time only, Monday – Friday 3pm – 6pm
• Clifton Road Activity Hub, Sutton Coldfield – weekends and school holidays 9.30am – 4pm
• Pathways Family Hub, Coventry (CV6) – term time only, Saturday 9.45am – 4pm
What’s in it for me?
As one of our valued volunteers, Midland Mencap will offer you:
• The opportunity to make a difference to the lives of people with learning disabilities and their family carers
• An induction and settling in period
• Any training and development that is needed
• The chance to develop your skills and gain experience
• The opportunity to meet new people and be part of a diverse team
• Support within your role
• Any out-of-pocket travel expenses
• Lots of appreciation for your amazing contribution
What to do if you’re interested?
Email the completed application form to email@example.com.
For more information or an informal chat, call 0121 442 2944 and speak to someone about how volunteering could work for you.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org