Who are Midland Mencap?
Midland Mencap is a charity which works and campaigns for accessible and inclusive services and a better quality of life for everyone with experience of learning disabilities and additional needs.
Volunteering with Midland Mencap is your opportunity to help us achieve our vision.
Purpose of the role?
Would you like to help adults with learning disabilities access sport and physical activity? We are looking for enthusiastic volunteers to help us deliver accessible sports sessions at our Community Hub (B29 5TE) and across Birmingham.
People with a disability tend to face huge barriers to participate in sport and physical activity – from inadequate facilities, to lack of opportunities.
We aspire to improve and increase the opportunities and experiences of those with learning disabilities in sport and physical activity, to benefit them physically, socially, and mentally.
What would I be doing?
– Assist and lead the delivery of sport activities in a fun, inclusive and engaging manner
– Help to create and deliver session plans meeting the needs of the participants
– Ensuring the safety of participants, as well as yourself, during sessions
– Registering attendance of the participants
– Create positive relationships with citizens, families, carers, and colleagues
What do I need?
– Experience and an interest in sports
– Experience of delivering sports activities to groups is great but not essential
– Being approachable and friendly
– Good communication skills
– Accepting of others who might be different to you and the ability to work as part of a diverse team
– A willingness to learn and work within guidelines set out by Midland Mencap
– Honesty, integrity and trustworthy
– Good time management skills, reliability
– An enhanced DBS check will be required by all successful applicants.
This role might suit a sports student or someone who regularly plays or coaches sports activities.
When and where do you need me?
Many of our sport activities take place at our Community Hub in Weoley Castle (B29 5TE), but we also offer sporting sessions across the Birmingham area.
We currently deliver a varied programme of sports activities through the week including:
– Football sessions
We would love to offer new activities, and you can use your experience of sport to help us plan and deliver new activities such as:
What’s in it for me?
As one of our valued volunteers, Midland Mencap will offer you:
– The chance to develop your skills and gain experience, particularly in disability sport
– The opportunity to meet new people and be part of a diverse team
– The opportunity to make a difference to the lives of people with learning disabilities and their family carers
– An induction and settling in period
– Any training, support and development that is needed
– Agreed out-of-pocket travel expenses
– Lots of appreciation for your amazing contribution
– The opportunity to network & build relationships with individuals in the sport & care/support industry
What to do if you’re interested?
Email the completed application form to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information or an informal chat, call 0121 442 2944 and speak to someone about how volunteering could work for you.