Who are Midland Mencap?
Midland Mencap is a charity which works and campaigns for accessible and inclusive services and a better quality of life for everyone with experience of learning disabilities and additional needs. Volunteering with Midland Mencap is your opportunity to help us achieve our vision.
Purpose of the role?
Older people often experience isolation or loneliness, and this is increased if the person has a learning disability. Our Walsall Daffodil Club is a social group for older adults with learning disabilities where we provide fun activities and a lunch for the citizens who attend.
What would I be doing?
• Supporting our team of staff and volunteers to deliver various fun activities such as music, art and craft and bingo.
• Helping people to take part in the activities
• General support in the kitchen – setting tables, clearing away, serving food and drinks, tidying up, washing up
What do I need?
• Patient, with good communication skills
• Basic kitchen skills and the ability to learn
• Being approachable and friendly, building a rapport with citizens
• Accepting of others who might be different to you and the ability to work as part of a diverse team
• A willingness to learn and work within guidelines set out by Midland Mencap
• Good time management skills, reliability
An enhanced DBS check will be required by all successful applicants. When and where do you need me?
The group runs every other week on a Wednesday from 10.00 – 13.00 at St Martin’s Church, Daffodil Rd, Walsall WS5 3DQ. We ask that our volunteers are available at least once a month.
What’s in it for me?
As one of our valued volunteers, Midland Mencap will offer you:
• The opportunity to make a difference to the lives of people with learning disabilities and their family carers
• An induction and settling in period
• Any training and development that is needed
• The chance to develop your skills and gain experience
• The opportunity to meet new people and be part of a diverse team
• Support within your role
• Any out-of-pocket travel expenses
• Lots of appreciation for your fabulous contribution
• Feeling great from doing something amazing.
What to do if you’re interested?
Email the completed application form to email@example.com.
For more information or an informal chat, call 0121 442 2944 and speak to someone about how volunteering could work for you.